It's clear Katy Perry doesn't take herself too seriously: This is, after all, a woman who had whipped cream shooting out of her bra in the music video for "California Gurls."
But Perry, who took home three Moonmen at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday night, told reporters backstage that winning the video of the year prize for "Firework" held somewhat of a deeper meaning.
"I felt like I was in the right place tonight, especially with that award," the pop star said. "Because we all know 'California Girls' — it's a great song, but it's not gonna change the world or anything like that. But 'Firework,' to me, it feels like it's a movement. You can always sing [about] clubs and bubs and bitches and ho's, but I think it takes a little bit more to sing songs like 'Firework.' "
Asked what was next for her after sweeping the telecast, Perry said she would continue to focus her efforts on her ongoing concert tour.
"It's been really grueling, and I'm just trying to take that one day at a time and get through that and make sure I give the best damn performance every single time," she said. "But yeah, I don't want to feel like I've peaked just yet. I've got way too many outfits to go through."